Flexible packaging film is a lightweight and portable packaging film, which is not as hard as ordinary packaging film. Flexible packaging films have many characteristics.
This guide explains everything you need to know about flexible packaging films. With this guide, you will be able to choose the right flexible packaging film for your product.
1. Benefits of Flexible Packaging Film
Using flexible packaging films can bring you many benefits. Flexible packaging films provide storage, display and economic benefits.
The benefits of flexible packaging films extend to manufacturers, products, and consumers. In addition, the benefits of flexible packaging films are:
- Flexibility: The main advantage of flexible packaging films is flexibility. Films can come in different shapes, forms, and sizes, and you can choose the combination that best suits your product and consumer needs.
- Versatility: Flexible packaging films are versatile and can provide a wide range of packaging capabilities. The versatility of flexible packaging films gives you a versatile pouch that addresses all your packaging needs.
- Barrier ability: Although it is a packaging film with low rigidity, flexible packaging film has high resistance. The film protects the contents from external damaging factors and ensures they remain healthy and fresh.
- Lightweight and portable: Flexible packaging film is lightweight and easy to transport. Packaging and shipping flexible packaging bags save time and effort. Flexible packaging films also take up less space.
- Durability: Flexible packaging film is not easy to damage and is durable. Flexible packaging films are ideal for products that require a long shelf life.
- User-friendliness: Flexible packaging films are easy for manufacturers to manufacture and fill. Flexible packaging pouches are easy for consumers to open and close. The lightness, portability, and strength of flexible packaging films make them a user-friendly choice.
- Customization: Flexible packaging films are easy to customize to meet your needs. You can customize each element of your movie and tailor it to your product characteristics.
- Cost-effective: Flexible packaging films are affordable compared to other packaging bags. Flexible packaging film provides you with quality packaging film at an affordable price.
2. Types of Flexible Packaging Film
There are many types of flexible packaging films for you to choose from. Before choosing a flexible packaging film, you must consider your product characteristics and compare them with the flexible packaging film.
- Linear LDPE: Linear LDPE is the softest packaging film. It is popular for its durability, strength, and superior impact.
- Low-density polyethylene film: LDPE is a flexible packaging film that is popular for its practicality. LDPE stands out for its tensile strength, flexibility and durability.
- High-density polyethylene film: HDPE is an additive-free flexible packaging film known for its superior strength. High-density polyethylene films are popular for their packaging efficiency and are commonly used in the packaging of edible products.
- Polypropylene film: Polypropylene film is versatile, which makes it a popular packaging option.
- Polyester lamination to linear LDPE: The type of flexible packaging film is very hard and glossy. It has polyester laminated to linear low-density polyethylene and is popular in product branding.
- Anti-fog: This type of flexible packaging film allows the contents to be clearly seen. Anti-fog flexible packaging film provides visibility and is not affected by condensation.
- Barrier film: Barrier flexible packaging film has a stronger protective film of the contents. The barrier film has strong barrier properties and is often used in food storage.
- Opaque film: This type of film does not allow the content to be visible. Opaque films are suitable for products that require UV protection.
- Electrostatic dissipative film: This type of flexible packaging film is designed to dissipate static build-up in bags.
- Anti-rust film: This type of flexible packaging film protects the contents from rust during transportation and on store shelves.
- Specialty films: This flexible packaging film is designed and manufactured for unique packaging applications.
3. Color Option Available for Flexible Packaging Films
When printing flexible packaging films, you can choose from up to ten colors. It’s a way to differentiate your pouch from the theme of other products. It also makes your product instantly recognizable.
4. The Barrier Ability of Flexible Packaging Film
The flexible packaging film has a good performance in barrier capability which protects the content inside the films from external factors.
Flexible packaging films also provide insulations that keep the products from the influence of temperature fluctuations. Thus, flexible packaging films are suitable for storage under cold conditions and normal conditions.
5. Recommended Thickness of Flexible Packaging Film
The flexibility of flexible packaging films allows them to have different thicknesses. In addition, the thickness of the film will depend on the packaging requirements of this film. The thickness of flexible packaging films ranges from 0.5-5mm. You can ask the manufacturer to design a custom flexible packaging film with a thickness that suits your needs.
6. The Best Material for Flexible Packaging Films
Different types of materials are used in the manufacture of flexible packaging films. The material depends on the function of the film. Flexible packaging materials include:
- Linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE)
- Low-density polyethylene (LDPE)
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE)
7. The Use of Flexible Packaging Film
Flexible packaging films are versatile and have a wide range of packaging functions. Flexible packaging films are used in different industries. In addition, the uses of flexible packaging films include:
- Food packaging
- Retail consumer storage
- Garbage bags
- Shrink film
- Stretch film
8. Limitations of Flexible Packaging Films
Flexible packaging films have almost no limits. The advantages of flexible packaging films far outweigh the disadvantages. Films made from flexible materials have the following limitations:
- Flexible packaging films have low heat resistance.
- Flexible packaging films are not suitable for packaging fragile products or products that require extra protection.
- Flexible packaging films are difficult to recycle.
- Flexible packaging films take an extremely long time to decompose.
9. The Properties of Flexible Packaging Films Suitable for Food Packaging
Food packaging films are flexible and suitable for use in food packaging. Flexible packaging films that are safe for use in food packaging are characterized by:
- lightweight and portable
- tensile strength
- customization capabilities
10. The Right Product to Use with Flexible Packaging Film
The flexibility, versatility, strength and durability of flexible packaging films make them suitable for a wide range of product packaging. Products that can be used with flexible packaging films include:
- coffee products
- whole grains
- hygiene products
- detergents and bleach
- electrical products
- pharmaceutical products
11. How to Make Flexible Packaging Film?
The manufacture of flexible packaging films involves a step-by-step process to create packaging films that meet all quality standards. In addition, the manufacture of flexible packaging films includes the following processes.
- adhesive lamination
State-of-the-art equipment is used to manufacture flexible packaging films. Modern manufacturing techniques are used to produce high-quality flexible packaging films and save time and materials. You can watch the video to learn more about flexible packaging film manufacturing.
12. How to Print Flexible Packaging Film?
Flexible packaging film can be printed to reflect your brand graphics and product information. Printing your flexible packaging film adds to its beauty and makes it stand out.
The printing methods of printing flexible packaging film are:
- Digital printing: Digital printing is a modern form of printing that is commonly used to print different types of packaging bags. Digital printing utilizes inkjet printers to create permanent designs on the bag.
- Gravure printing: This is a printing method commonly used for large-format printing. Gravure printing uses colors from printing cylinders and transfers the design to the bag.
- Lithography: This printing method uses aluminum printing plates. Apply ink to the aluminum plate. Then transfer the plate to a blanket to create a clean copy of your design, which is then transferred to the packaging film.
- Flexographic printing – This is the use of flexographic printing plates when printing packaging bags.
13. How to Check the Quality of Flexible Packaging Film?
There are several tests you can perform to determine the quality of your flexible packaging film.
- Barrier test – This test determines whether a material film is resistant to external factors such as dust, light, and moisture.
- Tensile and strength test: This test determines if the bag is not prone to leakage. It can also help you determine if the material film is strong enough to withstand punctures and breakage.
- Oxidation test – This test determines the flow of oxygen into the bag. Oxidation testing determines whether the contents are not affected by oxygen which can affect the amount of the contents.
- Vibration test: This test determines whether the bag can withstand friction and vibration during transportation.
14. How to Choose Flexible Packaging Film?
Before choosing a flexible packaging film, you should consider some factors. These factors will help you make the best decisions for your products and brand.
- Suitability for use – Before choosing a flexible packaging film, it is important to determine whether the film meets your desired use. Different elements combine to make the film fit for different purposes. Therefore, you must be sure that the film you choose has the right properties for your needs.
- Physical capacity– You must consider the physical properties of the film to ensure that it can provide the strength needed to support the product. Physical tests determine whether the film can provide the content with the protection it needs from external factors such as air, heat, moisture, and dust.
- Durability– You should consider the film’s ability to stay in good condition for a long time. The greater the durability, the longer your product will remain safe.
- Availability– Another factor you must consider before choosing a flexible packaging film is product availability. It is necessary to take into account the ease of restocking and the time frame for receiving the order.
- Cost-effectiveness– You must consider the price of flexible packaging film to determine if it fits your budget. You should make sure that you get the best deal at the best price.
15. How to Laminate Flexible Packaging Film?
Lamination is the process of joining two or more flexible packaging rolls using an adhesive. The different methods of laminating flexible packaging films are as follows:
- Wet lamination: This is the process of bonding flexible packaging rolls while the reagent is still in a liquid state.
- Dry lamination: This is a flexible packaging film laminated with hot rollers under strong pressure, which improves the adhesion strength.
- Wax lamination: In which the adhesive is wax or hot melt adhesive and applied to one of the two substrates in a molten state. The process can produce paper-to-paper or paper-aluminum foil laminates, which are widely used in the packaging of biscuits and bakery products.
- Solvent-free lamination: The adhesive used is solvent-free. Solvent-free adhesives generally refer to a special type of adhesive in which two components react with each other without drying. The resulting laminated fiber mesh is then rewound into finished rolls.
16. Benefits of Buying from Chinese Packaging Film Manufacturers
There are several benefits to buying flexible packaging films from China. When you buy packaging bags from China, your products and business will enjoy several benefits.
- You will buy directly from the manufacturer.
- You will have unlimited customization options.
- You will be able to buy wholesale sizes at competitive prices.
- Affordable shipping to anywhere in the world.
- You will showcase your business and products to a larger market.
- Importing from China can help you build sustainable, long-term relationships that will bring future benefits.
17. Comparison of Flexible Packaging Film with Packaging Bags
Flexible packaging film is different from packaging bags. In addition, flexible packaging film is a lightweight packaging material, while packaging bags are made of harder, stronger packaging materials.
Flexible packaging films are made of only flexible polymer materials. The packaging bags are available in aluminum foil, craft paper and plastic materials. Flexible packaging films are lighter and more portable than bags.
18. Features of Flexible Packaging Bags
You can add multiple features to your flexible packaging pouch. The flexibility of this pouch allows you to tailor every aspect of the pouch to your product and customer needs.
The features you can add to your flexible packaging pouch are:
1) Flexible Packaging Bag with Handle:
You can add a handle to the flexible packaging bag. The carrying handle seals at both ends of the bag, enhancing the bag’s mobility and user-friendliness.
2) Flexible Packaging Bag with Punching Hole:
A punch is a small hole punched out in the center of the bag. Perforation is used to place bags on cabinets and shelves. Perforation increases the presentation ability of the bag.
3) Valve Disc Flexible Packaging Bag:
The valve disc is a tiny hole, also called an exhaust hole. The valve regulates the inflow of oxygen into the bag, ensuring that the contents of the bag remain healthy and fresh. The one-way vent valve does not allow air to flow out of the bag. One-way degassing valves are suitable for products that are sensitive to oxygen and moisture and release or trap air.
The role of the valve is as follows:
- Suitable for roasting coffee beans, gas will be generated in the bag, which needs to be protected from oxygen and moisture.
- Suitable for edible products containing active ingredients such as yeast.
- Suitable for heavy products that require the release of excess air from the packaging for palletizing.
4) Flexible Packaging Bag with Tear Notch:
The tear is a flexible seal attached to the seal that can be easily opened by consumers. Tear notches enhance the user-friendliness of flexible packaging bags.
5) Flexible Packaging Bag with Tin Belt:
The tin tape is the seal that is sealed on the bag. Pewter ties allow consumers to open and close the bag. Tin ties protect the contents from external factors.
6) Open Window Flexible Packaging Bag:
The window opening is a small opening covered with a transparent film. The window makes the content clear at a glance, and consumers can view the content without opening the bag.
7) Shaped Flexible Packaging Bag:
Flexible packaging pouches can have unique shapes instead of regular shapes. The flexible shape of the packaging film adds to the beauty of the bag, making it stand out. The shape pouches you can choose from include hourglass, bottle, round, etc.
19. Advantages of Using Eco-friendly Flexible Packaging Bags
Flexible packaging films are biodegradable and therefore very environmentally friendly. The advantages of environmentally friendly flexible packaging film are:
- This is an environmentally conscious packaging option.
- The manufacturing process consumes less energy and resources, making it a sustainable bag.
- It reduces waste.
- It is a cost-effective packaging bag.
20. Available Sizes of Flexible Packaging Bags
Flexible packaging films are available in small, medium and large sizes. The flexibility of flexible packaging films allows them to take on different forms. You can ask the manufacturer to design a custom size for you that suits your needs.
21. Comparison of Aluminum Foil Packaging Film and Flexible Packaging Film
Aluminum foil packaging film is a packaging material made of aluminum as raw material. In addition, aluminum foil packaging films are harder and stronger than flexible packaging films. Aluminum foil packaging film is mainly used for food packaging. It is not as versatile as flexible packaging film.
22. Comparison of Rigid Packaging Film and Flexible Packaging Film
Rigid packaging film is a harder and stronger packaging film made of cardboard, hard plastic, metal, glass, etc. In addition, rigid packaging films are stronger and stiffer than flexible packaging films.
In addition, rigid packaging films are used to package products that require additional protection. Flexible packaging films are less protective than rigid packaging films. Hard packaging films are more expensive than flexible packaging films. In addition, compared with rigid packaging films, rigid packaging films have poor flexibility, limited customization capabilities and versatility.
23. Industries that Use Flexible Packaging Films
The flexibility of flexible packaging films makes them versatile and can be used in different industries. In addition, industries that use flexible packaging films include:
- Food industry
- Cosmetics and beauty industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Engineering industry
- Clothing industry
24. Comparison of Stretch Wrap v.s. Shrink Wrap
Shrink film, also known as shrink wrap, is a packaging material made of polymer-based plastics. The film is heated to a specific temperature so that it shrinks around the product being packaged.
Use a heat gun or heat tunnel to apply the required amount of heat to the film. Stretch film, also known as stretch wrap, is a plastic film based on elastic polymers that are used to wrap pallets of transported products. Stretch wrapping elasticity ensures that items are tied very tightly and well protected.
Heated shrink film provides an extra protective layer for packaging. Stretch wrap enlarges the pallet that wraps prepackaged goods, providing extra protection during transport. The shrink film does not stretch and cannot be used as a stretch film. The stretch film does not shrink and cannot be transported through a heat tunnel or used with a heat gun.
25. Comparison of Metalized Packaging Film and Coated Packaging Film
Metalized packaging film is an insulating packaging film coated with aluminum on the surface to give it a luster. Metalized packaging film has a shiny metallic appearance.
In addition, metalized packaging films are widely used in coffee packaging and food packaging. Coated packaging film is to apply several layers of paint to the packaging film to give it a dark appearance. Coated packaging film has the same packaging function as metalized packaging film.
26. Comparison of Barrier Film and Outer Packaging Film
The barrier film is a strong and hard packaging film such as rigid plastic, tin foil, cardboard material, etc. In addition, barrier films are used in the manufacture of plastic bags, kraft paper bags, and aluminum foil bags.
The barrier film has the strength to bear the weight of the product and protects the contents. Outer packaging film is a flexible plastic film used to wrap the outer frame of packaging bags. The secondary function of the outer packaging film is to support the primary packaging film or the primary packaging film.
Flexible packaging solutions are what we design and manufacture. Contact us to find out all your flexible packaging needs.